Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Why fly Cheap

The aviation industry is a very large business that has many jobs in many different fields. After graduating and  receiving all of my flight times and ratings, my goal in the aviation industry is to be a captain and fly commercially for Delta Airlines, flying a 747 jet has always been a dream of mine and I plan to continue to pursue it until that day comes.


A basic description of an airline captain is to fly an aircraft in the commercial aviation from point A to Point B in the safest and in the most proper manner. Also they need to understand how to read certain data computers, flight plans, pre flights, etc. As for the companies description, Delta strives to conduct its operations in a socially and environmentally responsible manner and gives back to the communities it serves.


In the field I am choosing to follow there are safety concerns always present before, during, and after a flight is conducted. Since the safety of the passengers is the number one priority, a chain of events are looked at to make sure accidents don't occur. I would mitigate these concerns by making sure I was well and fit for every flight. Also knowing when to call a "no go" and not fly rather than risk everyone's lives I am in control of. Referencing the video "Flying Cheap" if I were to come across an incident of another pilot or management showing an act of negligence I would step forward and say something rather than be quiet and hope someone else does what should be done.


If I had to define professionalism, I would say it is holding a specific standard of care. Three words I could use to better understand professionalism would be experience, proficiency, and effectiveness. After watching the "Flying Cheap" video, two ways professionalism was demonstrated was by the management and operating director not concerning their pilots safety. When they mentioned deviation and cancelled flights and how they lose money, that is not professional. Also when the first officer in the video mentioned the captain changed the weight and balance forum to make the aircraft within its weight limits to continue its operation, is very un professional. That decision is unsafe and unimaginable to do, especially erasing your co pilots original work. Which now means falsification of documents.


When I reach the level I always desired in the aviation industry, I plan to always maintain my professionalism at all times. Two ways I plan to take that course of action is firstly remembering everything I have learned in my aviation classes, such as CRM and aircraft write ups. These are a few examples of how to maintain professionalism while in the cockpit. Outside of the cockpit, I will be sure to have adequate rest, reviewing flight planning intensively, and attending any sort of safety meeting or seminars to learn and teach to other pilots I fly along with.

4 comments:

  1. If the 747 is a goal, you may want to consider Kalitta Air or Atlas prior to going to a major. Many of the 747s are getting replaced by 777s, so the opportunities to fly the 747 at a major will be less. Great goal, though. My husband loved the plane - I think it will always be his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put a little more emphasis on what professionalism means. For you it seemed to be more of a personal goal than an image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Wall is absolutely correct about the B-747, industry wide they are fading due to more efficient airplanes. I had a friend who perished in the 747 crash in Bagram, he was a first officer building time to get his ATP rating through National Airlines. He was about to hit 1500 hours on that very trip and come home to take the test. You would have better luck flying one there than at Delta, and early in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your definition of professionalism. Holding a specific or higher standard of care is very important in any industry; not just aviation. The Colgan pilots did not hold to their standard of care on the day of the accident. Beyond that, the captain was unable to possibly understand that specific standard of care because he was just not qualified for his position in the first place. Where there is a lack of professionalism, problems will follow.

    ReplyDelete